Sunday, January 30, 2011

Honolulu, Hawaii

ALOHA! - I have heard that word a billion times since and got on the plane in LA to go here.
So I'm finally here... I arrived at the airpot at 0915 pm local time... I had been on the go for a little over 24 hours by then. I was tired and sweaty... and very very hungry... you just don't get full by plane food.
The first thing I noticed was how warm it was. It was dark out side but still like 23 degrees celsius. And now it's midnight and it's still around 20 degrees. I love it.
When I first got here, I went and got my bag, it came out really quick, but then then Alicia, was nowhere to be found.
So I sat on a bench waiting for her to come pick me up. She finally walks in... and walks right pass me... thanks a lot girlfriend.
It seemed like she was looking at me, but she apparently wasn't, so I had to get up and walk AAAAALL the way over to her, far far away from the exit.
She had some very nice friends who picked us up and took us, well mostly me to Wendy's, It was great.
Then we went to the place where Alicia stays, and hung out until my the guy, I'm staying with for tonight, came home.
As I entered Alicia's house some of her friends were there, so I wanted to say hi. I went to shake hands with the girl who were next to me, but in Hawaii they give a hug and a kiss on the cheek, and she went to do that, but since I'm not used to that it got a little awkward, and it ended up in a high five. And then I gave high fives all the way around. I like that much better. I don't think I can get into the hug and kiss thing with people I don't know, not in two weeks anyway. It's just getting a little to close to my taste.
But I get the feeling that a lot more awkward moments are coming my way on that account, but I will just have to deal with it as it comes.... but I do wish that Alicia had warned me on that one.
Now I am here, and I can't sleep. I'm on danish time and I am supposed to be in church right now... but I will try to get some sleep... soon.
Well that's it for tonight.....
Mahalo(another word I heard a billion times by now) and good night.

2 comments:

Alicia said...

yes, slacker girlfriend...
i got to the airport to meet you when you originally were to come in and learned that your flight was to be delayed till 2130 and returned to try to beat you there...but apparently you beat me... maybe the lei and hug made up for that one?

hehe. sorry about that one, i really should have warned you! :/
I guess when something is such second nature to you it is easy to forget that it is not normal to everyone else. I'll try to think of anything else I should warn you about... but for now, just stick your hand out when you meet someone and you should be ok. :}

Jepsenator said...

The lei and the hug totally made up for it... it more than made up for it...
It's ok, I could handle it... it wasn't as awkward for me as it was for her... and I think I'm doing pretty good with the shaking hands thing :)